Location: York University
Dates available: 09 Jul – 06 Aug
Ages: 12 – 18 (18 yr olds accepted as part of a group with a leader – junior programme)
Accommodation: Single/twin standard rooms
Emergency Number: +1 212 497 8343
Our Toronto centre is located at York University about 30 minutes by metro from the city centre. The subway stop is located on campus and a five minute walk from the residence. This central location, on a modern university campus, provides a perfect base for a Canadian summer school experience. Our programme offers students language classes with a fun and dynamic activities programme we call active learning. The activities offer a balance of sports, cultural activities, tourist attractions and workshops.
- Single/twin standard rooms with a shared bathroom ratio of 1:5
- Communal space on most dormitory floor
- Room furniture includes a wardrobe, desk and chair
- All rooms air-conditioned
- Bathrooms are cleaned daily
- Linen changed weekly
- Laundry available in residence building, $1.75 for a wash and $1.50 for a dry
- Meals are served in a large self-service dining hall with dinner excursions included as part of the programme
- Wi-Fi available throughout accommodation, social and teaching spaces
- Towel, hand towel and soap is provided
- $100 CAD deposit upon arrival
Dining & facilities
Both cooked and continental which might include pancakes, eggs, juice, coffee and toast.
Two courses, 3 options including a vegetarian option.
Packed lunches (provided at weekends): water, fruit, sandwich, crisps and biscuits/cake
Two courses, 3 options including a vegetarian and halal option.
Vending machines, coffees shops and a shopping mall are located in the campus for drinks and confectionery.
Meals served in large self-service dining hall in residence building or in the university food court.
- Indoor and outdoor basketball courts
- Ball fields
- Gymnasium (upon request)
- Indoor pool (upon request)
- Laundry facilities are located in the basement of the residence building.
- Common areas are available on each floor of the residence.
- Taught by friendly and professional English teachers
- 20 x 45 minute lessons per week each morning
- Placement test on day 1 to ensure students in appropriate level
- Maximum 17 students per class
- Students will be placed in an international class with students of different nationalities
- Classrooms are standard style
- Classrooms are located on York University campus
- Curriculum with emphasis on communication skills
- Materials included as well as an end of course report and certificate
Students will be welcomed upon arrival at the Embassy Summer office where they will register and get their room keys so that they can check into their rooms.
On the first evening there will be a welcome activity which is designed to ensure students have the opportunity to meet staff and other students and get to know more about the campus, its facilities and useful information which will help them during their stay.
Activities are organised in-between lessons and during evenings. These activities could be on-site or near to the centre. These may include:
- Sports such as football, mini Olympics, volleyball and basketball
- Drama and performance activities such as scavenger hunts and drama workshops
- Evening activities such as karaoke, talent show, team games and Downtown Toronto by night walking tours
Excursions and Trips
Our students get to explore exciting places in and around Toronto such as the Ontario Science Center, Casa Loma, High Park, Royal Ontario Museum and Kensington Market.
Downtown Toronto: Canada’s largest city, students explore bustling downtown Toronto and visit the CN Tower
Toronto Island: Students take a ferry to the island and enjoy a nice picnic
Toronto Botanical Gardens: Featuring 17 beautiful gardens to explore, a lovely environment to visit
Canada’s Wonderland: An impressive theme park with over 70 rides including 16 roller-coasters.
Baseball game: The Toronto Blue Jays play at their impressive home stadium.
Niagara Falls: World-renowned waterfalls on the US-Canadian border, with a visit to an outlet shopping mall included.
Toronto Zoo: Canada’s premier zoo known for its interactive education and conservation activities.